Investment policy of the Belarusian Railway is aiming to improve the performance quality standards of the railway and retain competitive position on the national and international transport markets.
The Belarusian Railway’s Investment policy aims at a continuous improvement of performance quality standards and retaining a competitive position on national and international transport markets.
The priorities of the investment policy in this regard are:
- efficient usage of rolling stock, equipment and devices, energy resources;
- ensuring a high level of train traffic safety.
Investment activities in 2011-2015
The main investment projects of the Belarusian Railway and activities for 2011-2015 were approved by the Council of Ministers (Decision No. 1851 dated 20.12.2010).
Before the end of 2015 it is planned to:
- purchase traction rolling stock and multiple unit trains, including freight locomotives, of which — 30 units, passenger electric locomotive — 24 units, passenger diesel locomotives — 8 units, shunting diesel locomotives- 6 units, diesel-multiple unit trains — 20 units, electric multiple-unit trains — 29 units;
- purchase 182 carriages and 12 500 freight wagons;
- electrify 387 km of railway lines;
- develop Minsk railway junction;
- develop high-speed inter-regional passenger traffic;
- renovate the existing traction rolling stock;
- modernize freight terminals and create on their basis transport and logistics centers;
- implement other measures aiming to upgrade rolling stock and improve efficiency of the railway transport.
Expected growth rate of total fixed investments following the results of implementing the planned investment projects and activities amounts to 199,2% compared to the year 2010.
By 2015 the Belarusian railway is planning to reduce transportation energy consumption by 10-11%. Furthermore, up to 30% of total boiler and furnace fuel will be replaced by local or alternative fuels. Thus, the reducing of energy consumption makes 65000-75000 tons of coal equivalent in comparable conditions
The principal directions of energy efficiency are defined by the State Program of Rail Transport Development of the Republic of Belarus for 2011-2015:
- quality workspace lighting by using LED technology;
- increased use of wood waste fuel, dump oil fuel and other combustible refuse in boiler compartments, belonging to railway organizations;
- introduction of renewable and alternative energy sources;
- development and introduction of new energy-efficient traction technologies for freight and passenger transportation;
- introduction of automated electric power metering systems in all activities;
- modernization of suppliers.
Improvement of transportation efficiency and stationary energy facilities has been performed in accordance with the Presidential Directive No.3 dated 14.06.2007, entitled «Conservation and economy are primary factors of economic stability of the state», in line with the energy conservation policy pursued in the Republic of Belarus.